Get the Quickest 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 Printer Guidelines
The 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 is a compact printer supporting several advanced features. It has wireless printing capability that lets you connect the printer to any network-connected device. It is versatile concerning media compatibility and can perform high-resolution printing/scanning in less time. Keep reading to find more about the HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer Setup, its features and instructions for performing the hardware setup and installation.
Setting Up the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 Printer for the First Time
- Before proceeding with the set up, make sure you have a flat, stable surface and an electrical wall outlet nearby.
- Lift the printer carefully from the carton, and place it on the flat surface.
- Remove the tapes and packing materials on the printer.
- Raise the scanner lid, and clear glass.
- Get the power cord supplied along with the printer. Plug its one end into the printer and the other end into an electrical wall outlet.
- Power on the printer by tapping its Power button. Select your HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer Setup language, country/region and tap Yes.
- Raise the access door and wait until the carriage halts at the access area. Unwrap the new ink cartridges and pull the orange tab to remove the tapes.
- Insert the cartridges into appropriate slots.
- The contacts of the cartridge should face down, and the color of the cartridge should match with the label on the slot.
- Pull the input tray out, and load a stack of plain paper into it.
- When the control panel displays a message to align the ink cartridges, draw the tray extender out, and tap OK.
- The 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 printer prints the alignment page. Place the page with its print side down on the scanner glass.
- Tap Scan on the control panel. Wait for the alignment to complete.
Where to Get HP Officejet Pro 6978 Manual and Driver Download?
A 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 printer driver controls the functions of the printer from the device in which it is installed. The full feature enables you to access all the advanced printer features while the basic driver is for performing only basic functionalities. The links for downloading the driver and manual are given below.
How to do HP OJ Pro 6978 Driver Download?
- Go to the manufacturer’s site, and type the Officejet Pro 6978 printer in the search bar.
- Select your operating system.
- In the ‘Let’s identify your product to get started’ page that opens, select the Printer option.
- Provide the printer model number, and then click submit.
- Open the Driver menu, and select the Basic Driver or full feature software package.
- To get the driver in a single click, use the Driver Download button.
- If you have a Windows OS, the file will be saved with .exe extension. On Mac, the file will be saved with the .dmg extension.
- Double-click the file to proceed with the installation.
123 HP Officejet Pro 6978 Driver Installation
- If you have the installation CD supplied along with the printer, insert it into the computer’s hard drive.
- Run the setup files. Follow the prompts until the installation completes.
- If you have downloaded the printer driver, open the Downloads folder and locate the .exe or .dmg file.
- Double-click the file to start the installation.
- Accept the terms of the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 installer, and click the Next tab.
- Select the language, purpose of installation, region, etc., if prompted. Click the Next tab.
- When prompted to choose a connection type, click either the USB or Network option.
- Connect your printer to the computer when the installer intimates you to do so.
- The computer will detect the printer and establish a connection with it.
- Verify the connection setup by printing a test page.
123 HP Officejet Pro 6978 Wireless Setup
The 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 can be connected to a wireless network using the Wireless Setup Wizard, Wi-Fi Protected Setup or via Auto wireless connect feature. Simple instructions for performing the wireless setup is given below.
How to Connect HP OJPRO 6978 to a Wireless Network?
- Keep your router turned on and check if the network is stable.
- Note your Network SSID and WEP/WPA key before proceeding with the setup.
- Switch on your HP Officejet Pro 6978 printer and give it some time to complete its warm-up period.
- Select the Setup icon no the control panel by tapping it. Choose Wireless Setup Wizard.
- The printer will now search for the available networks.
- Select your network SSID from the list of networks displayed on the control panel. Tap OK to confirm it. If the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 printer is not listed, you can add it manually by selecting the Enter the New Network name option.
- Proceed with the on-screen prompts to add the network.
- Provide the WEP/WPA password if prompted and tap Done.
- The printer will connect to the network. Try to print to verify the connection.
123 HP Officejet Pro 6978 Wi-Fi Setup
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is another feature that lets you connect the printer to a network.
- Select the Setup icon on the control panel.
- Tap Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
- Select either the Push button or the PIN option.
- If you have opted for the HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer Setup Push button method, immediately (within 2 minutes) press the WPS button on the router.
- The printer will now recognize the network and connect to it.
- If you have preferred the PIN method, wait until the printer displays the PIN.
- Note the PIN. Open the Configuration utility on your router and enter the PIN on it.
- If your printer does not connect to the network, print a wireless test report to know if there is an issue.
Mobile Printing for HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer
The Officejet Pro 6978 printer has mobile printing capability. The ePrint, AirPrint, HP Smart App are some of the mobile printing solutions supported by the printer.
123 HP Officejet Pro 6978 ePrint
HP ePrint is software using which you can send print jobs from your device to the printer via email. The instructions for mailing your documents to the printer via email is given below.
- Power on the Officejet 6978 printer, and tap the ePrint icon on its control panel.
- Enable Web Services on the printer.
- Tap the Print or Print Info option and wait while the printer prints the Information page.
- Locate the email address for the printer and note it.
- Open a web browser from your computer and then sign into your email account.
- Provide the printer’s email address in the ‘To:’ field. Do not forget to give a subject.
- Attach a document or photo for printing, and click Send.
- To print an email, open the mail that you want to print and select the Forward icon.
- Type the email address of the printer in the To field and then select Send.
- To print a webpage and select the entire content of the page by pressing the Ctrl and A keys together.
- Open a new blank 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 document and paste the content on it.
- Log into your email account, attach the document and send it to the printer’s email address.
123 HP Officejet Pro 6978 AirPrint
- AirPrint is another mobile printing service that lets you access the printer from Mac computer or iOS mobile of version 4.2 and later.
- Keep your Officejet 6978 printer in the ready state.
- Connect it to a wireless network using the wireless setup Wizard or WPS.
- Connect your iOS device to the same 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 wireless network.
- Select a document for printing, and tap the Share icon.
- Touch the Print option and select Officejet 6978 printer from the list of devices, and select it.
- Change the print settings and select the required number of copies. Click Print.
- To print from your Mac computer, open a document or photo that you want to print using suitable software.
- Click the File menu and select Print.
- Check if the Officejet Pro 6978 printer is listed in the Printers menu, and select it.
- Click the Print Using menu, and make sure the AirPrint or Secure AirPrint is displayed. Proceed with printing.
HP Officejet Pro 6978 Wireless Direct Printing
- Power on the Officejet 6978 printer, and wait until it makes no noise.
- Check if you have installed the most recent version of the printer driver on your computer.
- Locate the HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer Setup Wireless Direct icon on the control panel.
- Open the Network Setup menu and select Wireless Direct.
- If you want to have a secure connection, select the On or On with security option.
- Now go to your computer and click the Wireless icon on the taskbar.
- Choose the HP-Print-xx-Officejet Pro 6978 printer from the list of networks displayed.
- Provide the security passcode if prompted.
- Open a document for printing using suitable software and then click the File menu.
- Choose the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 printer and then select Print. Wait until the printer prints the document.
123 HP Officejet Pro 6978 Ink Cartridge
The printer has separate slots for black, cyan, magenta, and yellow ink cartridges. Prefer genuine ink cartridges as third-party cartridges may lead to print quality issues and other technical issues.
How to Replace Officejet Pro 6978 Ink Cartridges?
- Switch on your Officejet Pro 6978 printer. Raise the cartridge access door.
- Wait for the carriage to halt at the access area. Do not proceed until the carriage stops moving.
- Locate the slot comprising the cartridge to be replaced. Slightly press the cartridge down to release it from the slot.
- Unwrap the new ink cartridge.
- Using the orange-colored pull-tab, remove the plastic wrap.
- Remove the orange cap on the cartridge by twisting it.
- Insert the cartridge into the slot. The contacts of the cartridge should face down.
- The color of the cartridge should match with that of the label on the slot.
- Close the ink cartridge access door.
- The printer will print an alignment page.
- Scan the alignment page to perform the cartridge alignment.
- Print a document to check the quality of the replaced cartridge.
How to Check Ink Levels in HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer?
- Power on your Officejet Pro 6978 printer.
- Look for the ink drop icon on the control panel and tap it.
- The control panel will display an estimated ink level in each of the installed cartridges.
- The ink level can also be viewed using the HP Smart app.
- Download the app from the Windows Store.
- Launch the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 application and add the Officejet Pro 6978 printer to it.
- Check the ink level on the home screen.
- You can also use HP Print and Scan for viewing the ink level. The software is compatible only on Windows OS. After installing the software, open the software and select your printer.
- Go to the Printers section and click Supply Levels to view the ink level.
- If you have the Mac OS, open the System Preferences window. Select the Printers and Scanners option, and choose the Officejet 6978 printer.
- Choose Options and Supplies, and click the Supplies tab. The ink level for each cartridge will be displayed.
How to Print on HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer?
- Switch on your HP Officejet Pro 6978 printer.
- Link your printer to a network that has sound internet connection.
- Place a stack of blank sheets in the input tray. Ensure that the ink cartridges properly installed and then check the ink level.
- Open the document or photo that you need to print.
- Alter the photo or document appearance, document properties and 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 layout options, as you need, before printing the document.
- Choose and click the File or the Menu icon.
- Tap the Print option to see the general print settings.
- Tap the Printer Properties, Properties, or Preferences based on what appears on your computer screen.
- Check if the Document Properties window opens on your computer screen.
- Use the options like Layout, Quality and Advanced Print Settings in the window to alter the print settings.
- Choose the print options like Orientation, Source, Paper Type, Paper Size, Duplex or Two-sided Printing, etc.,
- Edit the quality and color settings to get the best printing results.
- Choose the OK option to confirm all your choices.
- Tap the Print option.
- Pull the output tray extender out. Now, the printer starts to print the document and the printed output rests on the extender.
- Save all the alterations that you made.
How To Print Double Side On HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer?
- Place enough number of blank papers in the main paper tray to avoid page ordering issues easily.
- Open the file that you have to print, and click the File option in the menu bar.
- Click Print and then select the Show Details option.
- Connect your HP Officejet Pro 6978 printer to a computer using a Wi-Fi network or an Ethernet cable.
- Establish a network connection using your router to connect your printer and computer to the wireless network.
- Switch the HP Officejet Pro 6978 printer setup to operating condition, and press the Wireless icon on the control panel. Select the Setup icon and then tap Wireless Settings.
- Touch the Wireless Setup Wizard option to search for your network name. Choose the network name from the list of available results.
- Enter the password if any alert message pops on the screen asking for a password. Click OK to connect to your network.
- Locate Devices and Printer option on your computer and then click Add a Printer.
- Find the list of printers and tap your printer name to add it to your computer.
- Download and install the print driver software after connecting your printer to the computer.
- Tap the Printing option in the Print Properties screen.
- Mark the checkbox and then tap Layout option in the unnamed print options menu.
- Click the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 Binding option from the Two-Sided menu and then tap the Print option.
- Select an Odd Page only or Odd only option in the Pages to Print option.
- Choose the Automatic (Rear Load) or Reverse (Front load) option from the Page Order Menu.
- Start to print manually on both sides after tapping the Print option. Print only the odd pages first and the even pages next.
How To Scan On HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer?
- Download the Full feature driver software and then the HP Easy Scan or HP Scan software.
- Locate and open the downloaded driver file from the browser download path.
- Continue to the instructions that you view on the screen and then accept the terms and conditions to install the HP Easy Scan or HP Scan software.
- Gently lift the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 Scanner door and set the item that you have to scan on the scanner platen and then lower scanner door down slowly.
- Insert the items on the Automatic Document Feeder, in case if you have to scan multiple items.
- Tap the Scan icon on the control panel to start the scan.
- If the Scan icon is not available, search and open the HP Printer Assistant window.
- Click the Scan option to open HP Easy Scan.
- Select your HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer Setup name from the Scanner drop-down list and then select the job type from the Presets menu.
- Tap Scan to start the scan process.
- Wait until scan completes and then find the thumbnail of the scanned item on your network connected computer.
- Select the destination folder to save and type a file name.
- Tap OK or Save option to save the file.
How To Copy On HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer?
Use your HP Officejet pro 6978 Printer to create an identical duplicate copy of documents, ID cards, and photos. Find some simple steps to copy using your printer:
- Turn your HP Officejet pro 6978 Printer to the active condition.
- Make sure that there are no empty ink cartridges and ensure that enough number of papers are loaded into the paper tray.
- Position the original item that you need to copy on the scanner glass or in the Automatic Document Feeder.
- Click the Copy, Copy Document or Copy Photo options based on what you view on the printer control panel.
- Click the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 Settings menu or Gear icon to see the advanced copy settings.
- Click two-sided copying by choosing an option from the drop-down list.
- Alter the other copy settings like size, paper type, quality, enhancements, and other copy option in the settings window.
- Click Back to return to the primary copy screen.
- Touch the Start Black, Start Color, or OK option to start the copy job.
How To Fax on HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer?
- Use a standard landline telephone cable. Employ the standard telephone cable that you bought with the printer.
- If you do not have an original cable, use the telephone cable that has connectors with two wire leads. Ensure that you are not using the telephone cable that has four wire leads.
- Plug one end of the phone cable to the phone wall jack and then the other end to the 1-LINE jack at the backside of the printer.
- Connect the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 phone cable to the device and the 2-EXT jack on the back of the printer, if you have an answering machine.
- Connecting an answering machine allows you to record voice calls without the unwanted noises from faxes. Move to the Fax or Setup menu on the control panel of your printer to alter necessary fax settings and preferences as you wish.
- Look for the Run Fax Test or Fax Test Report option, and tap it to print a fax test report. The printer prints the fax results and instructions to resolve the issues.
- Place the item that you have to fax on the scanner platen or in the Automatic Document Feeder, and load enough blank paper into the main paper tray to print the fax report.
- Dial the receiver fax number on your printer and then press the Black, Color, or Send button to send the fax.
How To Connect HP 6978 To Computer?
- Connect your HP Officejet Pro 6978 printer to a computer using a Wi-Fi network connection or an Ethernet connection.
- Establish a network connection using a router to connect your printer and computer to the wireless network connection.
- Switch the HP Officejet Pro 6978 printer to active condition and press the Wireless icon on the control panel.
- Tap the Setup icon.
- Select the Wireless Settings option.
- Touch the Wireless Setup Wizard option to search for your network name.
- Choose the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 network name in the list of available results.
- Enter the password if any alert message pops on the screen asking for a password. Click OK option to connect your network.
- Locate Devices and Printer option on the control panel.
- Click Add a Printer.
- Find the list of printers and tap your printer name to add it to your computer.
- Download and install the print driver software after connecting your printer to the computer.
123 HP Officejet Pro 6978 Factory Reset
- Switch off your printer to make it inactive.
- Wait for at least 10 – 15 Seconds and turn on the printer again.
- Just as the printer turns ON, press the back button (arrow icon) four times on the printer control panel.
- Check if the HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer Setup support menu appears.
- To access the Reset menu navigate to the right on the printer control panel. Find the partial reset, semi-full reset, and the full reset options below the Reset menu. Choose the correct type of reset option.
- Partial Reset: The partial reset option refreshes the printer settings and clears the unneeded storage from the printer. Minor printing issues such as slow printing, cartridge errors, etc. may be resolved using this reset.
- Semi-Full Reset: The Semi-Full Reset removes all the customized setting from your 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 printer and returns them to its default factory settings.
- Full Reset: When the above reset procedures are not working, use this reset method. Anyway, it is not recommended because it removes deep settings from your printer. If any interruption occurs while resetting your printer, it may become unusable.
Troubleshooting HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer
Most of the printer issues are caused because of improper paper feed, improper network connection, network connection failure, installing outdated driver software, or empty or low-level ink cartridges. Use troubleshooting methods to detect the cause for the issue and resolve it.
How to Solve HP Officejet pro 6978 Paper Jam Issue?
- Switch on the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 printer and unplug the power cord from the rear of the printer and the wall outlet.
- Wait for one minute and then connect the cable to the printer again. Switch on the printer manually, if it fails to power up on its own. Check if the issue is resolved or not.
- If the problem proceeds, use a flashlight to check and remove jammed papers inside the printer.
- Open the HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer Setup ink cartridge access door and hold on till the carriage stops moving. Take out the jammed papers from the access area, if found.
- Assure that the carriage moves freely. Remove any torn paper, or other foreign objects interrupting its movement.If the issue still persists, clean the paper feed rollers.
- Take a dust-free cloth, dip it in water and then squeeze it. Clean the paper feed rollers using the wet cloth.
- Operate the rollers, and clean the dust. Pull the cartridge access door down when the rollers are dry.
- If the printer shows the error even after trying out all the above steps, service your printer in an authorized service center.
Why is my HP Officejet pro 6978 Printers Offline?
When the printer shows The Printer is not responding or Offline error message, the printer may not print. Follow the below-resolving steps to resolute the Printer Offline issue:
- Ensure that your printer is not in sleep mode and it is active.
- Load enough number of paper into the input tray, and install the ink cartridges into the respective slots properly.
- Connect the printer to a stable AC source.
- Restart the printer, if it is not active.
- Make sure that the router’s internet connection is active and the printer is connected to it.
- Do not use the outdated driver software.
- Uninstall the outdated driver and delete the files related to it.
- Update the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 printer driver software after removing the older version.
- If still the issue is not resolved, reset the printing system and power cycle your printer to get rid of the problem.
Why Is My HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer Not Printing Black Ink?
If the printer prints faded or streaked printouts or files with blurred texts, and the black ink is not printing, or if you are getting ink smears or striped printouts, follow the below ways to resolve the issues.
Uninstall and reinstall driver software (Works Only in Windows):
- Remove your 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 printer from the Devices list and also clear off the files and folders related to driver from your PC storage.
- Power cycle your PC and then search and download the updated driver software for your printer model from the Manufacturer site.
- Install the updated driver software on your computer.
- Touch the Setup icon on the printer control panel and then open the Printer Maintenance menu.
- Go to the Tools menu and touch the Clean Printhead option.
- Now the printer starts to print a Test page.
- Check the printed test page, and touch Done, if the print quality is as you expected.
- If the print quality is terrible, tap the Clean Again option to continue to the next level of the cleaning process.
- If still the print quality issue persists, move forward to the third cycle of the cleaning process.
Use Genuine HP cartridge:
Assure that you have installed the genuine HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer Setup ink cartridges. If you have installed non-genuine HP cartridge, replace it with new ink cartridges that are bought from an HP store or reliable local retailers.
Inspect the printout for ink stains:
- Place a new stack of blank paper into the paper tray and then install the genuine HP ink cartridges.
- Click the Setup menu or the Gear icon on the control panel.
- Tap the Tools or Printer Maintenance menu to open it.
- Click the Clean Smear or Clean Page Smears option.
- Your printer makes some noise for approximately 60 seconds.
Inspect the print settings:
Sometimes the incorrect print 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 settings may affect the quality of the output. Inspect to ensure proper print settings and then try to print.
Check the estimated ink levels:
Tap the Ink Level Indicator symbol on the printer control panel. Check the estimated ink levels of the ink cartridges.
Replace low ink level or empty ink cartridges:
If any of the ink levels are found with an alert symbol, the print quality will be poor, and it is important to replace the low ink cartridges.
Install ink cartridges properly:
- Inspect the vents on the top of the ink cartridges. Do not leave the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 ink cartridges outside the printer for more than 30 minutes that may cause the ink to dry or clogged out.
- Remove the installed ink cartridges from the slot and examine the vent area that is near to the HP symbol on the top of the ink cartridge.
- Assure that you have pulled out orange pull-tab on the top. If the vent is covered with dried ink, ink clogs, take a straight sharp pin to remove the excess ink glue from the vent.
- Face the ink cartridge contacts downwards and place it in the slot.
- Match the color sticker on the cartridge with the color code on the cartridge before placing the cartridge into the slot.
Print Quality Diagnostic Page and Examine Test Pattern:
- Load a pile of blank sheets into the main paper tray.
- Touch the Setup menu that is in gear shape on the printer control panel.
- Click the Reports or Tools menu to open.
- tap the Print Quality Report option and then check if your printer prints a Print Quality Diagnostic Page. Examine Test taptern 1 on the Print Quality Diagnostic report and confirm that the lines are straight and connected.
- Print the Test taptern 2 and check if the lines are straight and linked.
- If the lines are not linear and connected, arrange the printhead and then print the report again.
- Clean the printhead again, if still, the lines are irregular. Print the Print Quality Diagnostic report to inspect Test taptern 3. Service your HP Printer in an HP service center, if the issue continues even after trying with all the steps.
How to Solve HP Officejet Pro 6978 Ink Cartridge Problem?
If the printer shows cartridge problem error, incomtapible cartridges error and cartridge missing errors, there are some issues with the cartridges installed into the 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 printer. Some simple solutions for resolving the cartridge errors are provided below.
- Open the ink cartridge door and hold on until the carriage stops working and silent.
- Slightly press the ink cartridges down to remove them from the slot. Take out the cartridges from the slot.
- Inspect the ink cartridges and clean the electrical contacts on the cartridge using a pure and dust free cotton swab.
- Also, clean the contacts in the cartridge access area.
- Reinstall the ink cartridges into the slot and then assure that they are correctly seated.
- If the issue continues, turn on the printer and remove the power cable from the printer while the keeping it turned on.
- Unplug the electric cable from the power outlet. Reinsert the power cord to the wall outlet and then to the rear printer after a few seconds.
- The printer is now reset. Know if the HP Officejet Pro 6978 Printer Setup’s firmware is updated or not and then try to print.
The 123.hp.com/ojpro6978 printer can perform high-end printing and scanning. Several advanced printing features such as Wireless direct AirPrint, Cloud Print, and ePrint are available in this printer that makes the printing job very much more comfortable. Find some simple instructions for 123.hp.com/Printer setup and installation and also find easy ways to carry out the printing and scanning functions. And also, we have provided simple troubleshooting guidelines for the typical printer issues.